Lackawanna Trail and Mountain View are shut down, while Blue Ridge and Western Wayne are on pause as athletic programs are being impacted by coronavirus upticks in those areas.

With a fifth positive COVID-19 case Saturday, the Lackawanna Trail Junior-Senior High School closed for two weeks and paused extra-curricular activities.

Lackawanna Trail had its scheduled game against Montrose postponed, and will now lose its next two games. The Lions were to play at Dunmore on Friday and home against Susquehanna on Oct. 23. The regular season in the Lackawanna Football Conference ends the weekend of Oct. 30-31.

“We knew this was a possibility if we were going to give 2020 a go,” Lackawanna Trail football coach Steve Jervis said. “Our first message to the kids through all of this season was to not take anything for granted. Our first practice in pads, our first scrimmage, our first game — everything is a bonus in this season. We are staying positive and will try to move forward. Hopefully we will be back in 2020, but this is a very fluid situation and you just don’t know.”

Dunmore is making efforts to fill the void in the schedule. The game against Lackawanna Trail would have been the program’s first home game of the abbreviated season and the district planned Senior Night and Homecoming activities.

“We are exploring all of our options to fill that date,” Dunmore athletic director Mark Finan said.

Lackawanna Trail’s shutdown also forced the girls volleyball team to cancel games. The Lady Lions (4-2), who are second in the District 2 Class 1A playoff power rating standings, did not play their scheduled game last Thursday against Blue Ridge and will not be able to resume before the regular season concludes. The earliest Lackawanna Trail can return is Oct. 23. The District 2 Class 1A playoffs are scheduled to start Oct. 22.

Blue Ridge is on a pause while dealing with a coronavirus situation.

The football game between Lakeland and Susquehanna scheduled for Saturday was canceled because Susquehanna co-sponsors the sport with Blue Ridge.

Blue Ridge also had its girls volleyball match with Lackawanna Trail from last Thursday canceled. The Lady Raiders (5-3), who lead the District 2 Class 1A standings and are the six-time defending champion, are scheduled to play Mountain View on Tuesday in the regular-season finale, but that match is postponed.

“It’s hard, but I did tell them to keep hope,” said Blue Ridge coach Lori Zick, who also coaches the boys program that lost its season last spring because of the COVID-19 lockdown. “We are so close to finishing. We have gotten much more in then we did in the spring. But this is starting to look a lot like the spring, where we are there practicing one day, then we are sent home for what they said was two weeks and we never went back. I am hopeful that is not the case, but it does change every day.”

Mountain View’s girls volleyball team did not play the rest of its matches last week after playing against Lackawanna Trail last Monday.

Mountain View’s undefeated boys soccer team has been hit with its first setback of the season.

A positive COVID-19 test result has resulted in a two-week quarantine period for the team, as well as the Western Wayne boys team, which does not currently have any players who tested positive, but did square off with the Eagles last week.

According to Mountain View athletic director Jan Price, one player on the team has tested positive, and the team will be following Pennsylvania Department of Health guidelines and will not play again until at least Oct. 22.

The Eagles played Western Wayne on Thursday and were scheduled to play both boys and girls soccer against Western Wayne this week.

Price said the girls game with Western Wayne and a junior high contest with Montrose were postponed because some players have siblings or are in close contact with members of the boys team.

Western Wayne quickly announced its decision to quarantine.

Mountain View coach Roger Thomas said his team has treated every game like a postseason elimination game because of the possibility the coronavirus pandemic could shut down their season.

“In that sense we were well prepared,” Thomas said. “We’ve had an awful lot of joy, an awful lot of smiles.

“Who knows? Maybe we can play again later. We don’t know.”

Thomas said members of his team have been tested but results were not expected until today.

As for playing again, District 2 told schools that any COVID-19 interruptions would be treated as no contests rather than forfeits, and with the quarantine taking teams close to the cutoff for playoff rankings, any affected schools would be seeded based on their power ranking for games played.

That’s not a top priority right now.

“I’m going to let this commotion blow over,” Thomas said. “Any kids who want to be prepared if they get a season, are going to do something on their own.”

-Marty Myers also contributed to this article.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Already a Subscriber?

Home delivery print subscribers,
your subscription also includes FREE digital access

Click Here to activate