A Wyoming County residence sustained considerable smoke and fire damage Wednesday morning.
Meshoppen Fire Chief Chris Carney said the original call from the 911 communications center just before 10 a.m. said there was possible entrapment of an individual which triggered substantial mutual aid from a half dozen fire companies, but there was no one inside the home belonging to Charles Moon near the intersection of Vosburg and Mountain Roads.
Moon was not at home when the fire broke out, Carney said.
The State Police fire marshal had been on scene later in the day, and, according Carney, initially ruled the cause not to be suspicious
Chief Carney said there had been a control-type burn near the property Tuesday evening, and there was speculation that lingering sparks may have ignited a wooden shed type addition to the residence.
Wyoming County Humane Officer Darrell Sands said he had been called to the scene because two deceased dogs were found on the premises.
Sands said the animals appear to have died at least a couple of weeks earlier from malnutrition, starvation or abandonment rather than from smoke or an active fire. He said he was trying to locate the responsible party for the animals.