Article Tools

Font size
+
Share This
EmailFacebookTwitter

Photo: N/A, License: N/A

STAFF PHOTO/ROBERT BAKER This house at 35 Wyoming Ave. in Tunkhannock was partially engulfed in fire Sunday evening.

An early Sunday evening house fire in Tunkhannock Borough displaced five individuals.

Triton Fire Chief Randy White said a passerby noticed flames on the porch side of a house at 35 Wyoming Avenue, and called it in to the Wyoming County 911 Center at around 6 p.m.

Eight fire companies responded with Triton in command, and including ladder trucks provided by Meshoppen and Northmoreland fire companies.

The blaze was a little difficult to get under control, White said, noting there were concerns about being in a residential area of the borough and across the street from the Wyoming County Correctional Facility.

“And on a hot day, you also worry about the others overextending themselves,” he said. “Fortunately no one was hurt and no other property damaged.”

White said the State Police Fire Marshal and insurance company fire marshal both ruled the fire accidental, and likely to have been started from a smoldering cigarette butt.

Chief White added that the property was owned by the Piper Charitable Trust, and one resident in an upstairs apartment and four downstairs would have to be looking elsewhere for shelter.

White said he appreciated the help from Lake Winola, FWM (Mehoopany), Northmoreland, Good Will (Laceyville), Chinchilla, Montrose and Factoryville fire companies as well as Tunkhannock Community Ambulance and Red Cross.